Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hotcakes and scones

Picture taken from Morinaga website
How about some hotcakes to start off your day? mmm... Morinaga hotcake mix from Japan -  I heard it was cheaper back in Japan - each pack carries four 200g sachets. Each sachet is sufficient to make several hotcakes.


Morinaga had this *cool* video that shows you how to make and flip the pancakes - I'm not sure if it's still there. It was still quite a thrill even if you dont understand Japanese. Have fun cracking the egg open and pouring the milk in, and also flip through the pages of the 'book' in the video. There's a story weaved in, but I havent quite figured it out yet. Go to the Morinaga website, and tinker around.

I was quite amazed when Ollie shared with me that hotcake mix can be used to make more than just hotcakes, as this recipe book would tell you too. Nevertheless, I did try a Scone recipe that she shared with me sometime back. I didn't have my digicam so there're no pics, but here's the recipe. Oh, and I haven't made any hotcakes yet.

Plain Scones (from hotcake mix)
  • 200g Morinaga hotcake mix
  • 50g butter (unsalted)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp milk
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees
  2. Rub* butter and hotcake mix till texture is crumbly
  3. Mix milk into egg
  4. Make a well in the bowl of rubbed flour+butter n pour in liquids
  5. Mix into a dough
  6. Wrap dough in a cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30mins
  7. Remove dough from fridge
  8. Dust a little plain flour on tabletop
  9. Roll out the dough on this surface (you can use your palm) (dough still in cling wrap)
  10. Roll to thickness of 2cm
  11. And cut out using cookie cutters
  12. Dust baking tray with flour** (no need to grease)
  13. Place the cut-out dough pieces some distance apart on the baking tray
  14. Bake for 15mins
  15. Enjoy the scones fresh from the oven, with berry jam, cream, tea or coffee!

*use just your fingertips as they are the coolest part of your hands
**there's no need for too much flour as I learnt


No comments:

Post a Comment